Thursday, November 24, 2011

Let the Glitter Run Free

One layered Finnish star was just not enough! After making the Raspberry Tart one, I realised I really wanted to add glitter to it but it was just too hard to do after the fact. I also felt that the proportions could be improved, so I just had to make a second one to try these ideas out. I made this one for a relative who had commented on this Kaleidoscope paper recently, and luckily I had enough left over to use it. (Once again, you can click the image below to see a larger version with more detail)

This time the sizes were 12" x 1", 8" x 1.7cm (basically 2/3 of an inch) and 4" x 0.85cm (1/3"). Yes, I am wierd and work in mixed measurements sometimes! To add the glitter I lined the edge of the star points with Tombow glue and then sprinkled Dazzling Diamonds over the top. I tap off as much excess as I could, then set the stars aside to dry for a few hours, or preferably over night. I then used a large soft-bristled brush to remove the rest of the excess. I wish I had thought to do this over my desk so I could return the excess to the container of glitter... but it wasn't untill afterwards that I realised just how much loose excess remained on the stars. My floor was coated in it! Not that that is really a bad thing... Once I removed the rest of the excess I attached the stars with mini glue dots.

I really do think the glitter finishes it off nicely! Here's a side-by-sde shot of the two stars to highlight the different size of the layers. I now don't mind the sizing of the Raspberry Tart one so much, so if you don't quite have enough paper to do 12, 8 & 4 inch stars the smaller ones will still work nicely. You can also see that I arranged the layers different on the Kaleidoscope star, alternating the opening of the points - not really sure how to describe them! These are incredibly easy to make, though the initial lining up of the strips can be time consuming if you are as pedantic as me. I also wouldn't recommend using strips smaller than 3" as even this size is fiddly to work with.

All supplies by Stampin' Up!
Cardstock: none!Stamp set: none!
Ink: none!
Accessories: Kaleidoscope patterned paper, mini glue dots, Tombow glue, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, 1/8" white taffeta ribbon
Show watched while creating: Torchwood

1 comment:

Kerryl Noble said...

Wow Carol, these look awesome. Fabulous work!